Sunday, March 06, 2005

I hate mechanics...

You know when you put your car in the shop to get something fixed and you expect it done right with precision etc and get the car back working great... Right? Well often thats not the case you get it back and something else isnt working or something mysterious happed to make it break again the next day, week, or month even. Well this is what happened to me yesterday. I put my car in the shop friday night with instructions for the mechanic to put in a new ac compressor. Not that hard and only $325 for parts and labor great right? Well it was until i got it back last night. The fiancee had picked me up from work and brought me to my car and i happily bounced back in it and started her up. She purred no bad icky noises nothing. Not until i began to drive her out of the lot. The steering sucked... completely like it was so hard to turn the wheel it wasnt funny. I got pissed of course and naturally so.

We stopped at conquest video to pick up some movies and i told the fiancee he needed to drive her home and see how bad it was. We got home and he told me it was just low on power steering fluid or so it felt like which wasnt that hard to get and not hard to do. I calmed down then and planned to go to autozone before work today. This morning i drove it to autozone got the fluid and yep it was nearly empty! i filled it, closed the cap on both the car and the bottle, and shut the hood making sure everything was in its place etc. I drove it out and everything was fine again Yippe... or so i thought.

I got to dunkin donuts and it was giving me a hard time again i thought it was just adjusting to the lack of fluid that hadnt been in there and would fix out in a moment. Nope. I drive out of the drive thru and its really giving me hell now so i pull over. I jump out cursing again going "i dont need this right now i need to get to work" I pop the hood pop open the cap and the resevoir is dry again... I check under the hood... its a leaking from somewhere. Wonderfingfull.I filled it again and went on my way to work completely pissed off about this cause its the second time ive had my car fixed and then something else has broken in lieu of them fixing it. This time their fixing their mistake for free or else and im never going back to them for anything ever again.

Anyone know a really good mechanic i can use???

me

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah some mechs are jacks

I tried 10 times at my dealership to fix the air conditioner.

But as a mechanic myself. (humble beginnings)I don't work on systems like that i work on the engine itself, the wheels and oil, and i have a job arranged at a car dealership in a while (not bad for a 16 year old)
You have to understand how they get paid to understand how they work. They get paid by job done. (random estimates) 8$ a oil change, 10$ a tire rotation. And some tend to "whiz" some repairs so they get more in they're paycheck. I Don't like cutting corners.
If you want someone to blame, blame administration, they pay on work done and they gouge the customers as much as possible :P

Anonymous said...

if its so easy why didnt you do it yourself...

Unknown said...

dont blame the administration. blame the person who does the final checks.

The mechanic should have checked his work if it was at a small corner independent workshop.

In a Stealership, there should be a full time road tester to make the final check to make sure the car is good and ready to go.

have worked in both and have a pretty good understanding of how it all works. Admin, sales, service and parts.

When it comes to mechanics and choosing one your best bet is to ask around people you know for one they recommend.

I am a mechanic and i take my work seriously, i love it when someone calls me up and nad said they were recommended by a customer.

Thats how i know im doing things right.

Ask around and get one recommended and ask why do they recommend them.

Chris Datsusara - The Repair Man Sydney

Unknown said...

dont blame the administration. blame the person who does the final checks.

The mechanic should have checked his work if it was at a small corner independent workshop.

In a Stealership, there should be a full time road tester to make the final check to make sure the car is good and ready to go.

have worked in both and have a pretty good understanding of how it all works. Admin, sales, service and parts.

When it comes to mechanics and choosing one your best bet is to ask around people you know for one they recommend.

I am a mechanic and i take my work seriously, i love it when someone calls me up and nad said they were recommended by a customer.

Thats how i know im doing things right.

Ask around and get one recommended and ask why do they recommend them.

Chris Datsusara - The Repair Man Sydney